Help wiring DIS

This forum is for discussing ignition setup, tuning, and troubleshooting for MS-II. Click these links for info on GM's HEI, EDIS, direct coil control, others.
Forum rules
Read the manual to see if your question is answered there before posting. Many users will not reply if the answer is already available in the manual.

If your question is about troubleshooting, configuration, or tuning, you MUST include your processor type (MS-I or MS-II) and code version in your post. If your question is about PCB assembly or modifications, you must also include the main board version number (1.01, 2.2 or 3.0). For tuning/troubleshooting questions, please attached a datalog and your MSQ file to your post.

If you have questions about MS1/Extra or MS2/Extra code configuration or tuning, please post them at www.msextra.com Such questions posted here will be moved to: a temporary MSextra sub-forum, where they will be removed after 7 days

The full forum rules are here: Forum Rules, be sure to read them all regularly.
Post Reply
limo
MegaSquirt Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:04 pm

Help wiring DIS

Post by limo »

Hello, and thanks for looking. I have a 1993 3300cc buick v6 in a sand rail that I am trying to use a Microsquirt on. I did about a year of snooping around and asked DIY Autotune alot of questions before I ordered. I have read the manual several times and think I understand almost everything and DIY did a good job answering my questions. I have had this car running for seveal years with the stock ECM and even drove it into the garage to do this modification.

Ok so here is the question: I am unsure how to wire the DIS or more specific the ignition module to the Microsquirt. I have four wires that went to the original ECM and assume that I can use these curcuits to complete the install. The wires are WHITE, BLACK W/RED, PURPLE and BROWN W/BLACK. I have read alot of info so I know this is simple and it will work but the manual makes this about as CLEAR AS MUD. Maybe someone could help point me in the right direction. I dont even fully understand which circuts I am to use from the Microsquirt for this.


PS I have all the sensors hooked up and operating in Megatune without any problems so I dont think I am totaly stupid. (am I?)
Matt Cramer
Super Squirter
Posts: 2951
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:35 am

Re: Help wiring DIS

Post by Matt Cramer »

Let me know what model this DIS came out of and I can check its wiring diagram.
limo
MegaSquirt Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:04 pm

Re: Help wiring DIS

Post by limo »

Where do I find that? Is it the number of wires? It has 10 wires and 4 of them go to the crank sensor. It is a wasted spark with the coils attached to the ignition modual out of a 93 Buick century FWD 3.3 liter V6.

Thanks Jason
Matt Cramer
Super Squirter
Posts: 2951
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:35 am

Re: Help wiring DIS

Post by Matt Cramer »

I'm checking it in Alldata, though you could also use a dealer service manual. Here are the uses it gives for the ECM to ICM wires.

Tan / Black: Bypass Control (5 volt signal for ECU to control timing)
White: Ignition Control Output (MS pin 36)
Black / Red: Reference Pulse Input Low - ground
Purple / White; Reference Pulse Input (MS pin 24)
limo
MegaSquirt Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:04 pm

Re: Help wiring DIS

Post by limo »

Matt thanks alot that is why I chose to purchase from you guys. The info you shared is verry helpfull but I have a MICROsquirt and I see that in the Megasquirt diagram but I can't seem to cross referance over to the MICROsquirt. Pin #24 goes to the MAP and there is no pin 36. So the tan and black gets 5 volts during operation? The black and red goes to sensor ground or just to engine ground?

Thanks agian
Matt Cramer
Super Squirter
Posts: 2951
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:35 am

Re: Help wiring DIS

Post by Matt Cramer »

Oops, forgot what unit this was. On a uS, pin 24 is equivalent to OPTOIN+ and pin 36 is spark output 1, jumper for logic level.
limo
MegaSquirt Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:04 pm

Re: Help wiring DIS

Post by limo »

Thanks, that should get me where I'm going.
limo
MegaSquirt Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:04 pm

Re: Help wiring DIS

Post by limo »

Just as an update to complete this install you need to GROUND option- on a microsquirt. It is hard to tell this from the info here. If you do not ground opion- you get no spark and no tach signal to the mega tune. By the way it runs.
Post Reply