Page 1 of 1

Another EDIS4 Problem

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:11 pm
by patsmx5
I've got an MS2 V3.0 and running MS2 extra. I have a 99' miata running EDIS4. I used all the old EDIS4 components and rewired it. Install was straight forward but I'm having idle problems. Seems I'm not alone from reading around. Everyone seems to post their idle related EDIS problem, but nobody comes back and updates with a solution. Currently I'm having a weird issue. I don't 'think' I have a miss. Rather, my timing is all over the place. Here's a screenshot from MLV. This is a shot of me idling with the engine warming up. Car constantly hunts at idle. Sometimes it will smooth out for a few seconds.

Image

But here's what I don't understand. From the screen shot, you'll notice on the right my timing table is posted. NOWHERE do I have 8* in my timing table. Yet my Advance gauge in Megatune shows timing dropping and rising as the motor hunts. It will sometimes go from 2* to 16*. No idea why either.

Right now my next step I'm considering is reflashing my firmware. Dunno why, but that usually puts away the weirdest unimaginable problems that arise from MS. Any other ideas? FWIW I'm running Bosch plugs I do believe, which I did read was a problem with someone else running EDIS. I'll change em' tomorrow for some NGK resistor plugs. Also I made my own wires using MSD wire. Guess I'll check the resistance on them tomorrow. But I think this is a EDIS problem as I don't think I have a miss, just a MS issue. Guess I could try removing whichever wire it is that puts EDIS in limp mode and see if my idle stabilizes.

Re: Another EDIS4 Problem

Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:47 pm
by patsmx5
OK knock sensor stuff was enabled and was pulling timing though I don't have a knock sensor wired up. But I'm still having problems.

Cylinders 2&4 have a miss. I put a timing light on 1&3 and it sparks 100% of the time. Note 1&4 are paired on the coil and so are 2&4, so this is weird. Cylinders 2&4 miss about every 1 out of 10 fires. Sometimes it will miss 2-3 times before it comes back on. This is driving me nuts. I've changed plugs to new NGK V Power gapped at .030", new coil, tried a spare EDIS4 module, verified .040 spacing between VR sensor and wheel. Plug wires are custom made from MSD wire and are 125-160 ohms verified. I have a new VR sensor but haven't tried swapping it yet.

Also... And this is REALLY weird.
If I let the RPMs of the engine drop really low, like say below 400-500 RPMs, The RPM signal going to MS drops in half. Megatune will suddenly show a value that is exactly 1/2 of the real engine speed. And meanwhile the motor is barely running at all if I floor it to keep it running. Now if I get the motor back to say 1K RPMs while it's barely running and switch the MS off and right back on via the ignition swtich, bam, it runs fine again. This is pretty repeatable.

What's going on? Anything like this ever happen to anyone else?

Oh, and something else that may or may not be related or could be the cause of the problem. I'm running MS2 Extra with EDIS. When I do the ignition settings in Megatune, I setup:

Spark mode: EDIS
Ignition Input Capture: Rising edge
Spark Output: Going High

Now in the MegaManual it says to set:
Cranking Trigger: Calculated
Coil Charging Scheme: EDIS
Set the predictor algorithm option to "last interval"

I have not made these settings as they are not listed. Where are these? Do they apply to MS2E? Is this the problem all along? Any help would be so greatly appreciated words only could not describe. I'm at a loss right now.

Thanks in advance,
Patrick

Re: Another EDIS4 Problem

Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:06 pm
by vinister
I'd love to help you, but I also have a miss at idle, the spark seems to completely dissapear on the timing light, about 1-2 every 10 sparks just like yours.

I have tried changing EDIS module, VR, coilpack, and all wiring to no avail. Been working on it 6 months now and I'm still completely baffled.

Re: Another EDIS4 Problem

Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:46 am
by patsmx5
Update:

The new VR sensor bracket I made seems to have fixed every ignition related problem I had. It also now idles PERFECT.

Image