Page 1 of 1

Help wiring DIS

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:41 am
by limo
Hello, and thanks for looking. I have a 1993 3300cc buick v6 in a sand rail that I am trying to use a Microsquirt on. I did about a year of snooping around and asked DIY Autotune alot of questions before I ordered. I have read the manual several times and think I understand almost everything and DIY did a good job answering my questions. I have had this car running for seveal years with the stock ECM and even drove it into the garage to do this modification.

Ok so here is the question: I am unsure how to wire the DIS or more specific the ignition module to the Microsquirt. I have four wires that went to the original ECM and assume that I can use these curcuits to complete the install. The wires are WHITE, BLACK W/RED, PURPLE and BROWN W/BLACK. I have read alot of info so I know this is simple and it will work but the manual makes this about as CLEAR AS MUD. Maybe someone could help point me in the right direction. I dont even fully understand which circuts I am to use from the Microsquirt for this.


PS I have all the sensors hooked up and operating in Megatune without any problems so I dont think I am totaly stupid. (am I?)

Re: Help wiring DIS

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:30 am
by Matt Cramer
Let me know what model this DIS came out of and I can check its wiring diagram.

Re: Help wiring DIS

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:25 pm
by limo
Where do I find that? Is it the number of wires? It has 10 wires and 4 of them go to the crank sensor. It is a wasted spark with the coils attached to the ignition modual out of a 93 Buick century FWD 3.3 liter V6.

Thanks Jason

Re: Help wiring DIS

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:37 am
by Matt Cramer
I'm checking it in Alldata, though you could also use a dealer service manual. Here are the uses it gives for the ECM to ICM wires.

Tan / Black: Bypass Control (5 volt signal for ECU to control timing)
White: Ignition Control Output (MS pin 36)
Black / Red: Reference Pulse Input Low - ground
Purple / White; Reference Pulse Input (MS pin 24)

Re: Help wiring DIS

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:58 am
by limo
Matt thanks alot that is why I chose to purchase from you guys. The info you shared is verry helpfull but I have a MICROsquirt and I see that in the Megasquirt diagram but I can't seem to cross referance over to the MICROsquirt. Pin #24 goes to the MAP and there is no pin 36. So the tan and black gets 5 volts during operation? The black and red goes to sensor ground or just to engine ground?

Thanks agian

Re: Help wiring DIS

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:03 am
by Matt Cramer
Oops, forgot what unit this was. On a uS, pin 24 is equivalent to OPTOIN+ and pin 36 is spark output 1, jumper for logic level.

Re: Help wiring DIS

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:41 pm
by limo
Thanks, that should get me where I'm going.

Re: Help wiring DIS

Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:23 pm
by limo
Just as an update to complete this install you need to GROUND option- on a microsquirt. It is hard to tell this from the info here. If you do not ground opion- you get no spark and no tach signal to the mega tune. By the way it runs.